From: Bob Rankin
Subject: TOURBUS - 10 Oct 2007 - Terabytes / Pets / Top Twenty
In today's TOURBUS, you'll learn what a Terabyte is, and how many pickup trucks you need to carry one. I've also got a rundown on the best sites for pet lovers. And because the Immutable Law of Supply and Demand requires it, a brand new Top Twenty. Read on!
Have you been seeing advertising for terabytes lately, and wondering if that's a dinosaur, or if you'll BE a dinosaur without one? Do you remember when you bought your last computer or hard drive? A few gigabytes seemed like scads of storage space. But along came a new operating system, a bunch of MP3 music files, and a bunch of videos.
Now that hard drive is creaking under the load. Enter the Terabyte. Over the last few months, hard drive vendors have been pumping out new products that crack the terabyte barrier. That's 1000 gigabytes, or one TRILLION bytes of storage. How much space is that in practical terms? Do YOU need a terabyte? Read on for my take on terabytes...
Sorry, I couldn't resist an obscure reference to the Muppet Show in that headline. But I'm inviting those who love cats, dogs and other critters (furry, feathered or scaly) to check out my favorite websites for and about pets. They cover pet health, training tips, travelling with Fido & Fluffy, how to connect with other pet owners, and other cool pet sites you won't want to miss...
Casey Kasem has the Top 40 locked up, so I've decided to stick to with the Top Twenty. Every few months I go through the Ask Bob logs and see which articles were the most popular. And well, it's been a few months. So here are some selections from the current Top Twenty, ranked by readership volume.
Check 'em out, post your own pithy comments, and use the handy "Send this article to a friend" link in each article so your friends will be almost as smart as you! * VIEW PRIVATE PROFILE Can you view a private Myspace profile? Yes, maybe, sort of.
* CONVERT ITUNES TO MP3 FORMAT Liberate your iTunes purchases by converting to MP3
* FREE SATELLITE TV ON PC Is the promise of free Satellite TV on your PC too good to be true?
* SEND A FREE FAX Send a Fax for free. Here's how...
* MAKE WINDOWS XP RUN FASTER Clean out the cyber-sludge and make XP run like new
* CONVERT VHS TO DVD Got VHS tapes that are wasting away? Turn them into shiny DVDs
* ADD A SECOND HARD DRIVE Running short on file space? Install a new drive
* TV AS COMPUTER MONITOR Go large... use your big-screen TV screen as a computer monitor.
* DO I NEED A FIREWALL? PROTECT - Yes, you do. Here's why...
* THE TOP TWENTY
Here's the rest of the Top Twenty. Which one is your personal favorite? Post a comment and let us know.
The folks at InkJets-R-US have been TOURBUS sponsors for many years. I've always found them honest and reliable. Visit them today if you neeed inkjet supplies, and let them know you saw them in TOURBUS.
That's all for now, see you next time! -- Bob Rankin